Working Out When You're Sore

I have been working out regularly for over 8 months, and let me tell you I STILL get sore muscles. I wish there was secret sauce to prevent this, but there really isn't. And here's the thing, it actually happened to me this weekend at my Coach Retreat. Right now I've been doing 21 Day Fix Extreme with my challengers, but mixed it up with Core De Force this weekend.  Btw Core De Force is a MMA style fitness program, that I absolutely love!! I wish I could say that my body felt the same way (lol). Wow, were my shoulders and upper back tight and sore the next day. A morning of punching and kicking up a storm had my whole upper body screaming...


Post workout selfie

I want you to know there is a difference between muscle soreness and injury, so I am strictly talking muscle soreness here. It is very common for beginners to have soreness that may last a week or two. Should you keep working out?? Absolutely. The only way to avoid muscle soreness is to not workout at all. And we all know that's not going to help you achieve your goals! So here's my motto for everything. If you can't beat them, mine as well join them. Which means keep doing what your doing by working out every day, eating clean, drinking lots of water and drinking your shake.


What I can offer you, is some tips to help reduce the muscle soreness.

1. Workout when your sore to increase circulation. Take this as an active recovery day. If you did legs yesterday, then today maybe you work on upper or light cardio. Just don't stop moving!

2. Stretch after you workout! Please please stretch! Your muscles need this extra love every day, after every single workout. If you're skipping the stretching at the end of your video, you're only hurting yourself. Literally!

3. Take care of your self, with nutrition. You want your new muscles to grow and fat to burn off right? Then you have to feed your body with fruits, veggies, lean protein and whole grains! Go back and review the meal plans for your program. There is a reason these meal plans are there. They are there to guide you in making better choices!

4. Get a massage. You don't have to go to a massage therapist, this can be your partner or a rolling pin at home. I love rolling out my calves or quads after a leg day. Trust me it will be tender at first, but you will feel the relief after. 

5. Epsom salt bath before bed. Fill the tub with some warm water, add your Epsom salt and maybe a few drops of essential oils. Step in, lay back and let the the salt do its thang!



6. Shakeology is a great post workout meal. It has the perfect combination of protein and carbs along with all the essential amino acids and nutrients your body needs to recover from the workout you just did. I always say, "It's the one meal I don't have to think about". Whip it up and take it on the go!


Alright,  that's it! Hope these tips help you out. Remember sore muscles don't last forever, your body will adapt. And it's not uncommon to experience them again when changing your program up. Puch hard and don't give up!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top